With 2020 behind us at last, it’s more than time to focus on the present and the future. Anyone with passing knowledge of cannabis knows it can play a role in a healthy lifestyle. If you’re kicking around resolutions for the new year, we’re sharing ten ways cannabis aligns with 2021 wellness goals.
The World Health Organization defines wellness as a state of complete physical, mental and social well being and further clarifies that it’s not merely the absence of disease and infirmity. That’s an important distinction — you can be free of disease or not actively sick and still not be living in a state of wellness. Look at wellness as an active, evolving state, with daily choices impacting your overall health and longevity. It’s not necessarily an all-or-nothing proposition, but rather the sum of all the small decisions you make.
From stress release and pain management to relaxation and social enjoyment, there are many reasons people turn to cannabis. And almost across the board, those drivers align with these ten holistic wellness goals:
- Stress relief. We lead hectic lives, and stress has been at an all-time high for months. While research is limited, studies have linked small doses of THC to stress relief. That’s likely related to the role of the endocannabinoid system on mood, anxiety and the body’s stress response. CBD, believed to relieve tension, lower cortisol, and impact serotonin levels, can also help minimize stress.
- Managing anxiety. While anxiety is something everyone experiences at one point or another, it becomes problematic when it’s an every-day thing. While anxiety disorders are in a class of their own, studies suggest that CBD can be effective for mild daily anxiety.
- Improving sleep. We’ve written before about cannabis for sleep. While research is mixed, studies confirm that the relaxing and sedative effects of cannabis can make it easier to fall asleep.
- Managing pain. Cannabis has been used to treat pain for thousands of years, and many chronic pain patients today use it in place of opiates for effective relief. In fact, the majority of medical cannabis patients use it for pain management.
- Relaxation. Microdosing cannabis can be an effective way to quiet the mind enough to relax and unwind. It’s one of the most common reasons for cannabis consumption.
- Enhanced focus and creativity. Our creative ambassadors can tell you themselves — cannabis can be incredible way to boost focus and enhance creativity. From athletes to artists to nine-to-fivers, many people find it effective.
- As an alcohol replacement. Dry January? You’re not alone. Alcohol consumption has a lot of drawbacks and few benefits. Cannabis can trigger the same pleasure-reward circuit as alcohol, without the risks associated with alcohol. For people with substance abuse problems, one study shows how beneficial CBD can be in helping minimize alcohol cravings and promoting healing.
- Social enjoyment. If 2020 was the year of social distancing, we’re hopeful that 2021 will see a return to the good times. Whether that happens or not, not everyone enjoys social experiences. Cannabis products can help ease the anxiety inherent to social situations — it’s a good alternative to alcohol in these scenarios.
- Physical recovery. If fitness is part of your wellness plan for 2021, muscle recovery will eventually be on your mind. There’s plenty of anecdotal evidence linking cannabis to recovery, and the number of professional athletes partnering with cannabis brands continues to grow. Plus, we do know that CBD can reduce inflammation — a big benefit when you’re nursing sore muscles after a workout.
- Mental escape. Finding a safe, beneficial way to escape the madness of our daily lives is important and not easy to do. And while the stigma of cannabis is still prevalent, it’s a fact that people can use cannabis responsibly for a number of reasons — including a method of escape. If the goal is relaxing, clearing the mind, and minimizing pain, cannabis can be the conduit. And we’d absolutely define that as a means of escaping to re-focus and re-group, however short-term.
We’ve only scratched the surface of the benefits of cannabis. But its therapeutic properties and alignment with these ten wellness goals make it an ideal addition to any health-oriented resolutions for 2021. Happy new year!